Travel Information

Preparation is very important for a safe travel experience. Follow the recommendations on this page to help safeguard your health while abroad.


The CDC Hotline (1-800-232-4636) and CDC travel website provide current information on immunizations and other health and safety travel guidelines. The US Department of State is another reliable resource for safe international travel.

Local resources include the following:

  • Passport Health 804-201-4198
  • Patient First-Parham Road 804-270-2150
  • Travel Clinic at Henrico Doctor’s Hospital-Parham Campus 804-747-5627
  • VCU Travel and Tropical Health Clinic 804-828-4515
  • Publix Pharmacy-Wyndham Forest Drive 804-591-4350
Expand All
  • Immunizations

    Expenses for immunization, medication, and/or medical exams, even if required for visa applications, are not eligible for reimbursement through the Office of International Education.

    The following routine immunizations should be reviewed with a healthcare provider at least 10 weeks prior to departure to ensure the proper scheduling:

    • Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) – two doses
    • Diptheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis, Td, or Tdap-if the last dose was > 5 years ago, consider booster.
    • Influenza (annual flu shot)
    • Polio
    • Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B series
    • Meningococcal-two different vaccines: quadrivalent and group B
    • Varicella-two doses, if no history of varicella disease (chickenpox)

    The Student Health Center may provide a copy of your immunizations from the Health History form submitted upon entrance to the University. Students may receive some basic vaccinations needed for study abroad, as well as TB testing at the Student Health Center. 

    Print a copy of your immunization history by logging onto your Student Health Portal using your NetID and password.  Select the ‘My Profile’ tab and choose Immunization History.  Download the PDF.  Questions? Call 804-289-8064.

    The International Certificate of Vaccination is accepted worldwide for the purpose of documentation of yellow fever vaccination and other immunizations. The booklet is required for entry into countries with a mandatory yellow fever vaccine requirement. Each immunization should be recorded with an official stamp in the yellow booklet. Booklets improperly stamped may not be accepted by health authorities in many countries. Booklets are available from most public health departments or travel clinics that provide yellow fever immunization.

  • HIV Testing

    Some countries require international visitors to show proof of HIV testing. Contact the foreign consulate to learn about the HIV test requirement and other health-related entrance requirements. Testing is available by appointment at the Student Health Center: 804-289-8064.

  • Tuberculosis (TB) Testing

    Please refer to CDC guidelines for your destination and study abroad program details for immunization and testing requirements.

  • Physical Exam, Medical Forms, and Housing Forms

    Some programs may require a general physical exam or physician’s statement regarding health status. The Student Health Center may be able to provide this service, but must review your required documents before determining if we may fulfill your request.

    Students should note any environmental allergies (cigarette smoke, pets) or other relevant medical issues on the housing abroad application. It is the student’s responsibility to request any disability accommodations for housing.

  • Pre-existing Conditions/Chronic Illness

    It is important to discuss plans for medical care, including mental health care, with a health care professional before you travel. If you have a pre-existing or chronic medical condition, ask your healthcare provider to write a summary of the diagnosis and treatment plan. Notify the sponsor of the study abroad program to confirm appropriate medical resources are available at the destination. Another reliable resource is the International Association for Medical Assistance to Travelers (IAMAT). This organization helps coordinate care for travelers with an urgent medical problem.

  • Legality and Availability of Medications Abroad

    If you take medications on a regular basis, it is important to determine whether those medications are legal and/or available where you will be studying or travelling.Certain medications, including mental health medications, are illegal in some countries. Students may face legal issues when travelling with their prescriptions. The foreign consulate may provide information about the legality of specific medications. It is always recommended to learn about options prior to your departure.

    Certain medications may be prescribed differently. A medication that is easy to refill here may require special documentation outside of the US, may only be prescribed at a hospital or simply be unavailable abroad. Students should take an adequate supply of their contraceptive. Students on contraceptives are advised to research the regulations governing contraceptives in the country they are visiting. For more specific information on traveling with medications, review resources from the Embassy, the CDC website and IAMAT. Allow 60–90 days to plan prior to traveling.

  • Medical Records

    It is recommended to carry the following personal medical record information:

    • Blood type
    • Prescriptions, including eyeglasses/contact lenses
    • Copies of x-rays or EKGs for chronic medical conditions
    • List of all medications, with generic names, including non-prescription medications and supplements
    • Physician’s statement of medical condition(s)
    • List of ailments, allergies, or hypersensitivities
    • Physician’s full address, area code, and phone number
    • Health insurance details
    • Religion, if relevant
  • Illnesses After Travel

    If you develop illness during the six months after returning from travel abroad, inform your physician of the date of travel and the countries you have visited.